A dental implant is a titanium post that is surgically positioned into the jawbone to support dentures, bridges and crowns. Unlike traditional dentures, implant supported dentures do not get loose or move around in your mouth while you eat or speak. Dental implants are the best option for people who have lost a tooth or teeth due to periodontal disease, injury or other reasons.
There are two types of dental implants: Endosteal implants and subperiostead implants.
Endosteal implants are surgically planted directly into the jawbone. Once the surrounding gum tissue has healed, a second surgery is needed to connect a post to the original implant. Finally, an artificial tooth (or teeth) is attached to the post-individually, or grouped on a bridge or denture.
In order to be considered for dental implants, you will need to have good oral and general health, as well as adequate bone in your jaw to support the implant.
The advantages of dental implants include:
- It looks and functions like your natural teeth.
- Dental implants are durable, making it a long-term solution.
- Dental implants help to retain your natural face shape, and smile.
- It protect healthy bone.
- It allows you to speak easily.
- It allows you to enjoy your favourite foods.
- Dental implants are cavity resistant.
- Dental implants are more predictable than other repair and restoration methods.